Auburn provides the sought after quality that many individuals and families strive to attain. As a vital community of the Midwest, Auburn continues to provide significant emphasis on meeting present and future family and community needs for education, health, housing, recreation, family life, community attractions as well as economic development, retail business and industry. Our progressive community is centrally located between Omaha, Lincoln and Kansas City. The excellent location and quality of life are the envy of larger communities in which families may be overwhelmed by the dizzying pace of growth, “downsizing” or other developments of tomorrow. Auburn provides stable support systems that are so vital to families, business and industry and which are the enviable stand of tomorrow.
History of our Community
Auburn, one of the newest cities in Nemaha County, included three earlier towns within its city limits—St. George, Sheridan, and Calvert.
The 40 acres of St. George, now northeast Auburn, were platted in the 1850s. Sheridan was surveyed as a 160-acre town site in 1868, just a short distance west of St. George. Calvert began in 1881 as the result of a new railroad depot site being selected south of Sheridan. The site was selected by the Burlington and Missouri Railroad, who purchased the land and named it in honor of Thomas E. Calvert, a railroad official.
Under the leadership of Church Howe and Charles Nixon, the towns of Calvert and Sheridan incorporated into the town of Auburn on May 1, 1882. The city was named after Auburn, New York.
Auburn became the county seat of Nemaha County on February 27, 1883. Nixon and Howe sold the land for a city park for $5,000, which now includes the memorial “Avenue of Flags” honoring all veterans from Nemaha County.
A vestige of the past, Auburn still supports two “downtown” areas—one being the courthouse square and the other in Sheridan along with the crestview business district in south Auburn.
Auburn is Nebraska’s first Tree City USA, an honor they have held since 1976.